Shelby Iron Works ceased production in 1923 and its ruins can be seen just south of Columbiana on Highway 42. The iron works
was built by Horace Ware in the 1840s and by the 1860s was one of Alabama's most thriving industrial complexes. Shelby Iron
Works shipped iron plating by rail to Selma to help outfit the Confederate Navy during the Civil War.