The Medical College of Alabama (now University of Alabama Medical College) was founded in 1859 in Tuscaloosa. The Birmingham
Extension Center of the university opened in 1936, and in 1945 the University Medical Center was established when the college
was moved to Birmingham. The extension and medical centers were combined to form the University of Alabama at Birmingham,
which houses the university's medical school.