Originally known as Lick Skillet, much of the trade and industry in Millport centered on the three creeks that border the town. Settlers first came to the area around 1824. In 1858, the town moved its center to a place about a half-mile south of its current position. A post office was established in 1870. In 1878, the aptly named Henry Miller established the first water-powered grist mill in the area. Water-powered cotton gins and lumber mills soon followed.
The town shifted its location a second time when the Georgia Pacific Railroad came through around 1882, moving closer to the tracks. The townspeople thought that a more dignified name was in order after the railroad came through. The source of the present name is uncertain, but it is likely that it was named for the grist mill, referred to as Miller's Port, owned by Henry Miller. The name was shortened to Millport.
Millport was incorporated in 1887. By 1909, it had a telephone system. In 1974, Weyerhaeuser established a wood-processing plant in Millport.
Millport's population according to the 2010 Census was 1,049. Of that number, 64.7 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 33.7 percent as African American, 1.3 percent as two or more races, 1.0 percent as Hispanic or Latino, and 0.1 percent as Native American. The towns median household income, according to 2010 estimates, was $25,649, and the per capita income was $18,536.
According to 2010 Census estimates, the work force in Millport was divided among the following industrial categories:
· Educational services, and health care and social assistance (24.9 percent)
· Manufacturing (23.7 percent)
· Other services, except public administration (8.1 percent)
· Finance, insurance, and real estate, rental, and leasing (6.9 percent)
· Construction (6.4 percent)
· Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and extractive (6.1 percent)
· Transportation and warehousing and utilities (5.3 percent)
· Information (4.8 percent)
· Professional, scientific, management, and administrative and waste management services (4.8 percent)
· Public administration (4.6 percent)
· Retail trade (2.0 percent)
· Wholesale trade (1.3 percent)
· Arts, entertainment, recreation, and accommodation and food services (1.0 percent)
Schools in Millport are part of the Lamar County school system; the town has approximately 535 students and 32 teachers in one K-12 school.
State Highways 96 bisects Millport running east-west, and State Highway 17 runs in conjunction with 96 east to the center
of town, and then runs north from town.
Events and Places of Interest
Millport holds the Stallion Street Fair in early November, sponsored by the Halo Service Organization; it features craft and
food vendors as well as live music.
Acee, Joe G. A History of Lamar County. 3rd ed. Vernon, Ala.: The Lamar Democrat, 1976.
Lamar County Heritage Book Committee. The Heritage of Lamar County. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, 2000.
"Millport, Alabama, The First 100 Years." West Alabama Gazette, June 10, 1982.
James P. Kaetz
Published June 24, 2013
Last updated June 25, 2013