The area that now encompasses Baileyton has scattered settlement during first in the early nineteenth century but the town's namesake, Robert Bailey, was one of the first to build a homestead in the area, buying 40 acres in 1870. Bailey also ran a cotton gin, and the first Methodist church organized in town met in his home.
Originally part of Blount County, the town became part of Cullman County when it was created in 1877. The town opened its first post office, named Baileyton, in August 1882; it was located in the first general store. Local citizens built the first school in Baileyton around 1885; it served until a new building was constructed in 1916.
In addition to Bailey's cotton gin, other early businesses included a second gin, a sawmill, a gristmill, and several general stores. In 1889, the town petitioned the county for better roads to accommodate the growing population; a Masonic Lodge also was established in 1889. Later businesses included a shingle factory opened in 1900, and one of the first plant nurseries in the state in 1926. Baileyton was incorporated in February of 1973.
Baileyton's population according to the 2010 Census was 610. Of that number, 96.2 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 2.1 percent as two or more races, 1.5 percent as Hispanic or Latino, 0.5 percent as Native American, and 0.2 percent as African American. The town's median household income, according to 2010 estimates, was $38,235, and the per capita income was $17,728.
According to 2010 Census estimates, the work force in Baileyton was divided among the following industrial categories:
· Manufacturing (20.2 percent)
· Retail trade (18.0 percent)
· Educational services, and health care and social assistance (13.3 percent)
· Construction (9.9 percent)
· Arts, entertainment, recreation, and accommodation and food services (8.2 percent)
· Transportation and warehousing and utilities (6.9 percent)
· Professional, scientific, management, and administrative and waste management services (5.6 percent)
· Other services, except public administration (5.2 percent)
· Wholesale trade (3.4 percent)
· Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and extractive (3.0 percent)
· Finance, insurance, and real estate, rental, and leasing (2.6 percent)
· Public administration (2.6 percent)
· Information (1.3 percent)
Schools in Baileyton are part of the Cullman County school system; the town has approximately 400 students and 23 teachers in one elementary school.
State Highway 69 bisects Baileyton going roughly southwest-northeast. County Road 1595 leaves the town running straight north, and County Road 1718, runs from town to the south. County Road 1568 runs west from Baileyton.
Events and Places of Interest
The Baileyton "Good Time" Drag Strip offers two Saturday evening races with prize money for the winners. The Baileyton United
Methodist Church is listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. The Baileyton Cemetery was named to the Alabama
Historic Cemetery Register by the Alabama Historical Commission in 2011.
Cullman County Heritage Book Committee. Heritage of Cullman County, Alabama. Vols. I and II. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc., 1999.
Jones, Margaret Jean. Combing Cullman County. Cullman, Ala.: Modernistic Printers, Inc., 1972.
James P. Kaetz
Published April 3, 2013
Last updated April 3, 2013