Section was originally known as Mt. Zion when the first post office was established in 1875. Settlers had been coming to the area for free land as early as 1862; they had to agree to occupy the land for five years to own it. It became known later as Section because it was the location of a square-mile parcel of land, known as the 16th Section, required by the federal government to be set aside in support of public schools. The first store in the community was built in 1889. The first school was built in the area before 1890, which was the year it burned. Its successor lasted 25 years before it also burned. In 1910, Section incorporated, annexing several smaller communities into the town limits. A Van Heusen Shirt factory located at Section in 1965, but it had closed by 1975.
Section's population according to the 2010 Census was 770. Of that number, 95.5 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 1.9 percent as two or more races, 1.6 percent as Native American, 0.9 percent as Hispanic or Latino, and 0.6 percent as Asian. The town's median household income, according to 2010 estimates, was $25,179, and the per capita income was $16,506.
According to 2010 Census estimates, the work force in Section was divided among the following industrial categories:
· Professional, scientific, management, and administrative and waste management services (18.7 percent)
· Retail trade (16.9 percent)
· Manufacturing (12.6 percent)
· Arts, entertainment, recreation, and accommodation and food services (12.6 percent)
· Educational services, and health care and social assistance (10.4 percent)
· Construction (7.2 percent)
· Other services, except public administration (6.1 percent)
· Public administration (6.1 percent)
· Wholesale trade (5.0 percent)
· Transportation and warehousing and utilities (2.2 percent)
· Finance, insurance, and real estate, rental, and leasing (2.2 percent)
Schools in Section are part of the Jackson County school system; the town has approximately 745 students and 42 teachers in one K-8 school and one high school.
State Highway 35 runs southeast-northwest through the town and State Highway 71 runs northeast from the center of town. County Road 43 bisects the town going north-south, and County Road 265 runs southwest from the center of town.
Events and Places of Interest
The city maintains a park with an Olympic-sized pool, built in 1974. Section holds an annual Labor Day Celebration, which
includes vendors, food, entertainment for children, and live music.
Jackson County Heritage Book Committee. Heritage of Jackson County, Alabama. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc., 1998.
Kennamer, John Robert. History of Jackson County, Alabama. Scottsboro, Ala.: Jackson County Historical Association, 1993.
James P. Kaetz
Published March 11, 2013
Last updated November 14, 2014