Glencoe began as a farming community. The community began to grow after a rock quarry located in the area in 1853 and began to build around the Louisville and Nashville Railroad that also had come through the area. A post office opened in 1877. The town was named after the town of Glencoe in Scotland.
By the turn of the century five quarries were operating near Glencoe. Glencoe High School opened in 1918, supplementing a grammar school that had existed in the area for a number of years. A second high school was built in 1959, the same year that Glencoe Elementary was established as a separate school from the high school.
A number of local men served in World War I, and the Great Depression halted progress in the town as it did all across the state. The city incorporated in 1939, had electric power through a contract with Alabama Power Company in 1941, a city-run water system in 1944, and a volunteer fire department by 1946. Home delivery of mail began in 1962.
According to the 2010 Census, Glencoe had a population of 5,160. Of that number, 96.5 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 1.3 percent as African American, 1.1 percent as two or more races, 0.8 percent as Hispanic, 0.5 percent as Asian, and 0.3 percent as Native American. The town's median household income, according to 2010 Census estimates, was $53,279, and the per capita income was $24,531.
According to the 2010 Census, the work force in Glencoe was divided among the following industrial categories:
· Educational services, and health care and social assistance (27.5 percent)
· Manufacturing (14.9 percent)
· Construction (13.8 percent)
· Professional, scientific, and administrative and waste management services (9.5 percent)
· Retail trade (8.7 percent)
· Transportation, warehousing, and utilities (7.0 percent)
· Public administration (6.3 percent)
· Arts, entertainment, recreation, and accommodation and food services (3.7 percent)
· Other services, except public administration (3.0 percent)
· Finance and insurance, real estate, and rental and leasing (2.9 percent)
· Wholesale trade (1.7 percent)
· Information (0.4 percent)
Glencoe schools are part of the Etowah County School System. They serve approximately 1,048 students and employ 64 teachers in one elementary school, one middle school, and one high school.
Glencoe is bisected by U.S. Highway 431, which runs northwest-south through the town. Northeast Alabama Regional Airport is located 15 miles to the west.
Events and Places of Interest
Glencoe maintains two city parks, both along Cove Creek. They include a municipal pool, softball and baseball fields, basketball
and tennis courts, pavilions, and a walking track. For the past decade the city has sponsored an annual Celebration in the
Park with vendors, food, recreation for children, an antique car and tractor show, and music. It also holds an annual Cookies
with Santa celebration. The Silver Lakes Golf Course, part of the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, is located in Glencoe. In addition, the town is located on the Coosa River, which offers fishing and recreational opportunities.
Etowah County Centennial Committee. The History of Etowah County. Birmingham, Ala.: Roberts and Sons, 1968.
Etowah County Heritage Book Committee. The Heritage of Etowah County, Alabama. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants Inc., 1999.
Claire M. Wilson
Published December 12, 2012
Last updated December 12, 2012