Littleville gets its name from Benjamin F. Little, one of the early settlers in the area who built a store near the railroad come through town in 1887. Others followed, and soon the town had several stores and a train station. Early sustaining industries included iron ore mining and a sandstone quarry that produced the materials for blast furnaces and buildings in Sheffield, Colbert County. Another boon to the town occurred in 1917 when U.S. Highway 43 was constructed nearby, roughly along the route of the Gen. Andrew Jackson's Military Road. Littleville was incorporated in 1956.
According to the 2010 Census, Littleville had a population of 1,011. Of that number, 96.5 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 1.8 percent as Hispanic, 1.1 percent as two or more races, 0.7 percent as African American, 0.7 percent as Native American, and 0.6 percent as Asian. The town's median household income, according to 2010 Census estimates, was $46,250, and the per capita income was $22,236.
According to 2010 Census estimates, the work force in Littleville was divided among the following industrial categories:
· Educational services, and health care and social assistance (27.6 percent)
· Manufacturing (21.3 percent)
· Transportation, warehousing, and utilities (14.3 percent)
· Retail trade (11.6 percent)
· Construction (4.8 percent)
· Other services, except public administration (4.4 percent)
· Public administration (4.2 percent)
· Arts, entertainment, recreation, and accommodation and food services (4.0 percent)
· Professional, scientific, and administrative and waste management services (2.9 percent)
· Finance and insurance, and real estate and rental and leasing (2.5 percent)
· Wholesale trade (1.7 percent)
· Information (0.6 percent)
Students in Littleville attend Colbert County public schools. No public schools are located within the city limits.
Littleville is served by U.S. Highway 43, which runs northeast-southwest through the town. Big River Air Park is located 10 miles to the north.
Events and Places of Interest
Littleville hosts its annual Fun Fest each August; the celebration features food vendors, arts & crafts, a classic car and
truck show, fireworks, and live entertainment. Twin Pines Country Club and Golf Course has an 18-hole public course.
Heritage of Colbert County, Alabama. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc., 1999.
Claire M. Wilson
Published November 2, 2012
Last updated November 6, 2012