Elmore was founded by General John Archer Elmore, who had fought in the American Revolution and moved to the area from Virginia in 1819, and future governor Benjamin Fitzpatrick, who had married Elmore's daughter in 1827. By 1870, the town had its own school, and the first post office was established in a local home in 1873.
In 1878, the Louisville and Nashville Railroad connected the town to nearby river port city Wetumpka, and Elmore became a shipping center for the surrounding farmers. The L&N built a depot in the town in 1900, and the town remained large enough to support a number of stores in the town center. Elmore incorporated in 1906.
In 1956, a post office building was constructed. The last passenger train ran in 1969. In 1997, after being threatened with losing the funding for its volunteer fire department for lack of municipal elections, the town reincorporated and held elections for the mayor's office and the town council.
Elmore's population according to the 2010 Census was 1,262. Of that number, 64.3 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 26.7 percent as African American, 8.8 percent as Hispanic or Latino, 1.3 percent as two or more races, 0.2 percent as Asian, and 0.1 percent as Native American. The town's median household income, according to 2010 estimates, was $33,295, and the per capita income was $17,139.
According to 2010 Census estimates, the work force in Elmore was divided among the following industrial categories:
· Retail trade (21.9 percent)
· Public administration (16.6 percent)
· Construction (16.4 percent)
· Educational services, and health care and social assistance (14.8 percent)
· Manufacturing (8.9 percent)
· Transportation and warehousing and utilities (8.2 percent)
· Arts, entertainment, recreation, and accommodation and food services (4.1 percent)
· Other services, except public administration (3.4 percent)
· Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and extractive (2.0 percent)
· Finance, insurance, and real estate, rental, and leasing (2.0 percent)
· Professional, scientific, management, and administrative and waste management services (1.8 percent)
Students in Elmore attend schools in the Elmore County School system; no public schools are located within the city limits. One private school has approximately 300 students and 19 teachers.
State Highway 143 runs north from Elmore, and State Highway 14 runs northeast-southwest. Interstate Highway 65 is located approximately 5 miles west of town.
Events and Places of Interest
Elmore's Carmichael-Mercer Community Center is available for group functions.
Hickory Knoll, a house built in 1892, and the Peterson and Peterson Store are listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks
Elmore County Heritage Book committee. Heritage of Elmore County, Alabama. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants Inc., 2002.
James P. Kaetz
Published October 25, 2012
Last updated March 20, 2013