Vincent, originally known as Propel, developed along a Central of Georgia Railway line. The town's first school was built in 1854. The railroad came through in 1887 and that same year the first post office was established. The name was changed to Vincent in 1888 in recognition of an early family that settled there. The town was granted a charter by the state in 1897. In 1914, construction on Highway 25 from Vincent to Leeds, Jefferson County, began. Completed in 1921, the road connected the Coosa Valley and the Cahaba Valley.
Vincent's population according to the 2010 Census was 1,988. Of that number, 78.7 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 19.8 percent as African American, 1.0 percent as two or more races, 0.7 percent as Hispanic, 0.4 percent as Native American, and 0.1 percent as Asian. The town's median household income, according to 2010 estimates, was $50,000, and the per capita income was $22,716.
According to 2010 Census estimates, the work force in Vincent was divided among the following industrial categories:
· Construction (19.3 percent)
· Manufacturing (18.6 percent)
· Retail trade (13.6 percent)
· Transportation and warehousing and utilities (8.9 percent)
· Educational services, and health care and social assistance (7.8 percent)
· Public administration (6.6 percent)
· Other services, except public administration (6.0 percent)
· Professional, scientific, management, and administrative and waste management services (4.7 percent)
· Arts, entertainment, recreation, and accommodation and food services (4.0 percent)
· Information (2.9 percent)
· Wholesale trade (2.8 percent)
· Finance, insurance, and real estate, rental, and leasing (2.6 percent)
· Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and extractive (2.2 percent)
Schools in Vincent are part of the Shelby County School System; the town has approximately 973 students and 80 teachers in one elementary school and one middle school.
Vincent is bisected by U.S. Highway 231 running roughly north-south, and also is served by County Road 83 running west and County Road 85 running south.
Events and Places of Interest
Vincent has two municipal parks, one with baseball fields, a walking track, playground area, and a picnic pavilion and the other, located on the Coosa River, featuring a paved boat ramp, fishing piers, pavilion, and picnic area.
The Arkwright Baptist Church, Florey Gin, and the Railey House are listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage.
The town holds an annual Settlers Day celebration to honor the area's pioneer past.
Shelby County Heritage Book Committee. The Heritage of Shelby County, Alabama. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, 1999.
James P. Kaetz
Published September 5, 2012
Last updated September 5, 2012