The Good Hope area was first settled in the 1840s; the town itself is named for the Good Hope Baptist Church, established in 1842. As with much of the rest of Cullman County, a number of German immigrants settled in the Good Hope area in the late 1870s. In 1899, the town hosted a large Confederate Veterans Convention, with 53 veterans attending.
The first schoolhouse was built by the German immigrants in 1880; it later merged with the Good Hope School. A four-room school was constructed in 1926. The town was incorporated in April 1962, and the town limits grew from 640 acres to 2,890 acres less than ten years after incorporation.
Good Hope's population according to the 2010 Census was 2,264. Of that number, 92.7 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 7.7 percent as Hispanic, 1.1 percent as two or more races, 0.5 percent as Asian, 0.4 percent as Native American, and 0.3 percent as African American. The town's median household income, according to 2010 estimates, was $45,784, and the per capita income was $22,771.
According to 2010 Census estimates, the work force in Good Hope was divided among the following industrial categories:
· Educational services, and health care and social assistance (19.8 percent)
· Manufacturing (19.5 percent)
· Construction (16.9 percent)
· Retail trade (10.6 percent)
· Arts, entertainment, recreation, and accommodation and food services (9.8 percent)
· Wholesale trade (5.3 percent)
· Other services, except public administration (4.9 percent)
· Professional, scientific, management, and administrative and waste management services (3.8 percent)
· Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and extractive (2.9 percent)
· Finance, insurance, and real estate, rental, and leasing (2.0 percent)
· Transportation and warehousing and utilities (1.5 percent)
· Information (1.5 percent)
· Public administration (1.4 percent)
Schools in Good Hope are part of the Cullman County School System; the town has approximately 1,442 students and 85 teachers in one primary school, one elementary school, one middle school, and one high school.
Interstate Highway 65 runs north-south through Good Hope, State Highway 69 runs northeast-south, and County Road 437 runs northeast-southwest through town.
Events and Places of Interest
Good Hope has three municipal parks that feature softball and baseball fields and other family recreational facilities.
Jones, Margaret Jean. Combing Cullman County. Cullman, Ala.: Modernistic Printers Inc., 1972.
James P. Kaetz
Published September 5, 2012
Last updated September 5, 2012