Prior to the territorial period, what is not Weaver was located in a region of the state controlled by the Cherokees. After their forced removal in the mid-1830s, white settlers began to move in to the area. Among these early residents were brothers Simeon and Linzey Weaver, whose family name the town eventually adopted.
The first school in the area, known as Cave Creek Academy, was built in 1861. By 1868, the Rome and Dalton Railroad had constructed a line through the town. In 1871, David Weaver, son of Linzey Weaver, donated land on which to build a post office, which was named Weaver's Station. He also donated land for a railroad depot and served as both postmaster and agent for the railroad depot.
A second school was built in 1880 and served the area until the early 1920s. It was known variously as Weaver Academy, Male and Female and Waver High School. Ginning cotton was the primary industry in the town, but their propensity to burn down was a hazard. One fire, which started in a gin, also destroyed several other buildings in the town. Also in the 1890s, the town's name became a subject of debate, with names such as Weaverdale and Weaverburg floated as possibilities; the name Weaver was retained, however. A new high school was built in 1931.
Weaver remained unincorporated until October 1945, when by a 60-to-4 count citizens voted in favor of establishing a formal town government. With the population increasing as a result of the town's proximity to nearby Fort McClellan, the city installed a new water system in 1950. In 1974, the town built a new two-story high school.
Weaver 's population according to the 2010 Census was 3,038. Of that number, 81.4 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 13.6 percent as black, 3.0 percent as Hispanic or Latino, 2.5 percent as two or more races, 1.1 percent as Asian, and 0.7 percent as American Indian and Alaska Native. The town's median household income, according to 2010 estimates, was $40,791, and the per capita income was $20,078.
According to 2010 Census estimates, the work force in Weaver was divided among the following industrial categories:
· Educational services, and health care and social assistance (22.7 percent)
· Manufacturing (17.8 percent)
· Public administration (11.9 percent)
· Retail trade (10.5 percent)
· Arts, entertainment, recreation, and accommodation and food services (7.7 percent)
· Professional, scientific, management, and administrative and waste management services (7.0 percent)
· Transportation and warehousing and utilities (5.3 percent)
· Other services, except public administration (4.3 percent)
· Construction (3.9 percent)
· Wholesale trade (3.9 percent)
· Finance, insurance, and real estate, rental, and leasing (3.7 percent)
· Information (0.7 percent)
· Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and extractive (0.5 percent)
Schools in Weaver are part of the Calhoun County School District; the town has approximately 1,160 students and 66 teachers in one elementary school and one high school. Jacksonville State University is located about six miles from Weaver, and Gadsden State Community is within 20 miles of the city.
State Highway 21 runs northeast-southwest just south of Weaver, and County Road 25 runs roughly the same direction north of the city. McMinn Airport, which serves general aviation, lies just to the southwest of Weaver.
Events and Places of Interest
The Chief Ladiga Bicycle Trail passes through Weaver. Weaver City Park features a BMX bicycle track as well as basketball
and tennis courts, picnic and playground facilities, a walking trail, a skate park, and a remote-controlled vehicle track.
Brown, James Mitchell. History of Weaver, Alabama. Weaver, Ala.: Weaver Historical Commission, 1994.
Calhoun County Heritage Book Committee. Heritage of Calhoun County, Alabama. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc., 1998.
James P. Kaetz
Published May 29, 2012
Last updated June 7, 2012