The earliest settler in Midway, originally located in Barbour County, was likely Samuel Feagin, who became a land broker and the first postmaster. He also built a small inn, ran a store, and operated a stage coach stop. Feagin's son, James Madison Feagin organized the Midway Guards during the Second Creek War (1836-37) when many homes in the area were burned and settlers were driven off their land by the Creeks. The outfit would become the Midway Southern Guards and join the Fifteenth Alabama Infantry Regiment, which fought in many important Civil War battles in Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Virginia. By 1838, the first post office had been established, and the area apparently was already called Midway. The Battle of Pea River, a conflict during the Second Creek War (1836-37), took place in the area in 1837.
By 1855, the town had grown enough to support four physicians, three churches, and a school. The town became part of Bullock County when it was formed in 1866. In 1870, the town incorporated, and the Montgomery and Eufaula Railroad came through in the early 1870s. In the mid-1870s, much of the business district was destroyed by fire, but the area was rebuilt by 1878. Midway's population peaked at around 800 in 1880.
According to the 2010 Census, Midway's population was 499. Of that number, 89.0 percent identified themselves as African American, 10.6 percent as white, and 0.6 percent as Hispanic. The city's median household income was $33,004, and per capita income was $13,957.
The workforce in present-day Midway is divided among the following occupational categories:
· Educational services, and health care and social assistance (30.5 percent)
· Transportation and warehousing and utilities (21.3 percent)
· Retail trade (17.8 percent)
· Manufacturing (13.8 percent)
· Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and extractive (7.8 percent)
· Public administration (6.0 percent)
· Arts, entertainment, recreation, and accommodation and food services (2.9 percent)
Schools in Midway are part of the Bullock County School District; the town has approximately 187 students and 16 teachers in one elementary school.
Midway is bisected by U.S. Highway 82 (east-west) and State Highway 51 (north-south). The Montgomery Regional Airport is located 40 miles to the northwest of Midway.
Events and Places of Interest
The Merritt School, a Rosenwald school, is located near Midway. Built in 1921 on two acres of land donated by Mary Elizabeth Merritt, it was founded as an elementary
school for African American children. The school is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Alabama Register
of Landmarks and Heritage. The much-renovated building now serves as a community center. Also on the Alabama Register are
the First Baptist Church (ca. 1912), the Old Parsonage of the United Methodist Church (ca. 1888), and the St. James C.M.E.
Church (ca. 1883).
Bullock County Heritage Book Committee. The Heritage of Bullock County, Alabama. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, 2004.
James P. Kaetz
Published August 9, 2011
Last updated July 19, 2012