Skip directly to content

Kennedy House

The Kennedy House in Centreville, Bibb County, was constructed in 1837 for Judge John Henry and operated as the Eagle Tavern on a stagecoach line. In 1850, Henry sold it to Josiah Kennedy. During the Civil War, it served as a Union headquarters and then returned to use as an inn after the war under the ownership of Josiah's son John Perry Kennedy. It is now a private residence; this photo dates to the 1910s.
Photo courtesy of the Alabama Department of Archives and History