Skip directly to content

Swift-Coles Historic House

The Swift-Coles Historic Home in Bon Secour, Baldwin County, was built in 1882 by Thomas Gavin as a simple dogtrot cabin. In 1898, the Swift family purchased the home and established the Swift Lumber Company on the property. As the family grew, the Swifts added the west wing in 1902, and in 1908, now with 11 children, added the upstairs. Antiques and restaurant entrepreneur Nicholas "Nik" Coles purchased the home in 1976 and filled it with antiques. Before his death in 2007, he bequeathed the house to the Baldwin County Historic Development Commission. It was opened to the public in 2009 for tours and event rentals and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2016.
Photo courtesy of the Swift-Coles Historic House