Skip directly to content

Greensboro Opera House

Located in Greensboro, Hale County, the Greensboro Opera House was constructed in 1903 by local politician Jeffries A. Blunt. Located at 1215 Main Street, it replaced an earlier opera house that was built in the 1890s, also by Blunt, and that burned in 1902. The three-story facility had retail stores on the first floor and played host to movies, theater productions, musical performances, and other artistic and educational pursuits. A second floor balcony no longer exists but the opera house still retains its round arched windows, a multi-bay facade, and other architectural embellishments. The building fell into disuse prior to World War II and closed. In the early 2000s, a nonprofit group, Greensboro Opera House, Inc., purchased and refurbished the property with the help of the Alabama State Council on the Arts. It now hosts events and exhibitions.
Photo courtesy of the the Tuscaloosa News. Used with permission.