Skip directly to content

Weiss Cottage

Weiss Cottage was originally constructed in 1873 by the L&N Railroad, along its rail line in what was at the time Blount County. In 1875, the home was purchased by physician Aldo Weiss, who was among a group of German immigrants who moved to the area from Cincinnati at the behest of Johannes Cullmann, a fellow immigrant who had acquired almost 350,000 acres around the rail line in the hope of establishing a German community there. The Weiss family lived there for 14 years and kept goats in the basement, leading the home to become known as the Goat House for a time. It was moved to its current location in 1976 by the city of Cullman, Cullman County, and was added to the National Register of Historic Landmarks in 1985 and is operated as a historic house museum.
Photo courtesy of Chris Pruitt; Creative Commons