Skip directly to content

Gaines Ridge

Gaines Ridge, located in Camden, Wilcox County, was built in the late 1820s and was among the largest homes in the area for some time. Known for most of the nineteenth century as the Hearn Place for owner Ebeneezer Hearn, an itinerant Methodist preacher, it was purchased in 1898 by the Gaines family and called by its present name from that time forward. The current owners, sisters Betty Gaines Kennedy and Haden G. Marsh, are descendants of the original Gaines family occupants and now operate the building as the Gaines Ridge Dinner Club.
Photo courtesy of Billy Milstead; Rural Southwest Alabama