Skip directly to content

Shiloh-Rosenwald School in Notasulga

The Shiloh-Rosenwald School in Notasulga, Macon County, was built in 1913. It is one of the six initial Rosenwald schools established by the Rosenwald Fund to provide education to African American children. It was restored through the Shiloh Community Restoration Foundation in the mid-2000s. Also on the site are Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church, established in 1870, and an adjacent cemetery. Men from the church were unknowing participants in the infamous Tuskegee Syphilis Study, and the location was a site for medical visits. The school and church were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.
Photograph courtesy of Creative Commons; photo by Rivers Langley