Skip directly to content

Clarke County Historical Museum

The Clarke County Historical Museum is located in the Greek Revival-style Alston-Cobb House, headquarters of the Clarke County Historical Society. The home was constructed 1854 in Grove Hill by physician Lemuel Lovett Alston and passed through several owners prior to being purchased by the society in 1980. It opened as a museum in 1986, was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1978 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The museum site also features several other historic structures, including the 1834 Creagh Law Office, the Turner Corn Crib dating to the Creek War, and the Mathews Cabin, a dogtrot structure that dates to the mid-nineteenth century.
Photo courtesy Creative Commons; photo by Altairisfar