This tower graces the reconstruction of Fort Conde in Mobile. The original fort was somewhat larger and was constructed by the French in what is now Mobile in 1723. In addition to the French, it was held by the British, Spanish, and Americans, who dismantled it in 1820. The reconstruction was opened on July 4, 1776, as part of the U.S. bicentennial celebration.
Carol M. Highsmith Archive, Library of Congress.