Skip directly to content

Lewis Smith Dam

Lewis Smith Dam is an earth- and rock-filled structure spanning the Sipsey Fork of the Black Warrior River. The dam, which is 2,200 feet long and 300 feet high, was built during the late 1950s by Alabama Power Company and is named for Lewis Martin Smith, the company's president from 1952-1957.
Courtesy of Alabama Power Company