Skip directly to content

Tuscaloosa County Courthouse

Tuscaloosa, in central Tuscaloosa County, was named the county seat in 1819. The town of Newton replaced Tuscaloosa as county seat briefly from 1822-26, but was then incorporated into Tuscaloosa. The first county courthouse was destroyed by tornado in the 1840s, and the current courthouse was built in 1964.
Courtesy of Jimmy Emerson