Skip directly to content

Butler County Courthouse

Butler County was created in 1819 from portions of Monroe and Conecuh counties and was named for Captain William Butler, who died in a conflict with the Creek Indians in 1818. The first county seat was located at Fort Dale but was moved to the current location in Greenville in 1821.
Courtesy of Jimmy Emerson